Diversity in the American Idol Season 10 Top 24
In a bit of a drawn out process, the top 24 contestants–12 guys and 12 girls–were revealed by Thursday, February 24, 2011. NPY is a bit of an American Idol junkie, having watched it from the first season, while I’m just along for fun and to unfairly poke fun at contestants on any point but their ability to sing. I can’t tell musical ability in no small part because I’m tone deaf.
Now that the top 24 has been narrowed down, it’s quite exciting to see in which direction the show and contestants will go. They are so diverse and brimming with potential. The video revealing the top 24 and their happy dance goes some way to reveal their quirky characters. I’ve taken the bait from the editing and fallen for the stereotyping of the contestants.
The Top 12 Guys:
- Brett Loewenstern (17) – Jewish? Has brilliant long curly frizzy hair. Seems really sweet. Has been picked on in school.
- Jovany Barreto (23) – Looks too perfect, according to NPY. Might be off-puttingly arrogant. I think he looks really handsome and is fun to watch.
- Jacob Lusk (23) – We don’t like his style of singing. While his happiness is so raw, I’m not enamoured.
- Paul McDonald (26) – He kind of looks like a hobbit and sings okay but acts weird. Not sure about him.
- Clint Jun Gamboa (26) – Very talented half-Filipino karaoke host. He’s been portrayed a little as a villian in ousting Jacee from his group.
- Robbie Rosen (17) – He seems sooo sweet. NPY and I adore this guy. And he sings well!
- Stefano Langone (21) – He has overcome a lot which is impressive. I think he looks like Freddie Prinze Jr.
- Jordan Dorsey (21) – NPY says he looks like one of the NBA guys, which one? He has also been cast a bit like a villian and his final solo was kind of boring. Pleasant on the eyes though.
- Tim Halperin (23) – He did a really cool Beatle song on keyboards with Julie Zorrilla. A dark horse?
- James Durbin (22) – I hope he’s not pigeon-holed as the guy with Tourette’s syndome and Asperger syndrome. His singing style is just like Adam Lambert’s and NPY notes that it take a lot of skill to keep his voice under control. Even though we don’t need another contestant screeching his way to the end.
- Casey Abrams (20) – We think he’s brilliant and plays offbeat instruments like melodica and bass! He looks and acts so much like Seth Rogen!
- Scotty McCreery (17) – This kid has a surprisingly deep voice and we wonder how he will do from week to week. He seems to genuine and sweet.
The Top 12 Girls:
- Naima Adedapo (26) – Very unique… too unique?
- Julie Zorrilla (20) – Even NPY has noticed how she wears a different pretty dress every time you see her, it’s amazing! She’s not the strongest singer so I’m curious how far her like-ability takes her.
- Karen Rodriguez (21) – We think she’s so sweet!
- Lauren Turner (24) – We don’t think she has much star quality, at least it it hiding under a lot of layers right now.
- Kendra Chantelle (22) – I don’t really know this one. She wore a flimsy cowgirl dress and boots to the Top 24 announcement.
- Ashthon Jones (24) – Shows a lot of promise, really pretty.
- Rachel Zevita (23) – She totally stands out and I hope she does well. She’s got an awesome look.
- Haley Reinhart (20) – I can barely remember her.
- Thia Megia (16) – She’s so young! And her crooning voice is quite unexpected and really joyful.
- Lauren Alaina (16) – Another youngin’ and a seems to be an early favourite.
- Pia Toscano (22) – NPY is in awe about how good looking she is and her great voice. She has the star-look for sure.
- Ta-Tynisa Wilson (20) – Can’t remember her.
The contestants highlighted are the ones with Filipino ancestry. Unique, yes. But I’m not that confident they will go very far. It is a very strong-looking year and promises to be another season of high-quality pseudo-concert episodes.
One thought on “Diversity in the American Idol Season 10 Top 24”
Update: The top 24 was rapidly cut down to 13. The ten voted in by America included Scotty, Jacob, Paul, James, Casey, Karen, Thia, Lauren, Pia, and Haley. The wildcard picks, rounding out the 13 were Ashthon, Stefano, and Naima.